George Gates Jr. established Gates Furniture in Grants Pass, Oregon in 1946. The original 5000 square foot store was located on the corner of 7th and H Street. In 1952, George’s wife Lois assumed the position of store manager after George contracted polio, which left him a quadriplegic confined to respiratory equipment.
With George acting as consultant and Lois physically running the operation, Gates Furniture quickly gained a trustworthy reputation within the community. With their focus on providing great bedroom, dining room and living room furniture values and customer satisfaction, Gates Furniture became one of the Rogue Valley’s most popular furniture stores of the 50’s and 60’s.
In 1973, after graduating from college, George and Lois’s son Giff temporarily joins the firm. Law school had been the plan for Giff until he unexpectedly found himself loving the family business. Giff Gates assumed the manager position in 1977 and continues to manage and enjoy running the operation today with is son Nick and a fantastic staff!
Gates Furniture has gone through many changes over the years. It’s gone from 5,000 square feet to 30,000 square feet, expanded to larger buildings and it’s even changed its name to Gates Home Furnishings. What hasn’t changed in over 60 years is the store’s commitment to its employees, its customers and its community.